Valerie J. Lewis Coleman
Question: Traditional publishing or self-publishing: which is the future?
With traditional houses downsizing, restructuring and scrutinizing submissions to the nth degree, self-publishing is the future for many reasons:
1. You control the process. You decide when the release date, cover image, retail price, marketing strategy and more. If executed correctly, you can save thousands of dollars, mountains of frustration and hours of research.
2. You keep 100% of monies earned. As opposed to waiting on royalty checks from your publisher, you keep every dime you make. Caution: Just because you earn it, does not mean you should spend it.
3. If the content is relevant and you are actively marketing, your title has an indefinite shelf life.
4. Short time to market. After writing the manuscript, your book can be on the market in a few weeks. The longest component in this process is professional editing which can take several weeks.
5. Affordable. Emerging technologies have made self-publishing more cost effective. With the advent of eBooks, the most expensive aspect of publishing—printing—is eliminated. Note: Editing is required regardless of your book’s format.
6. Quick changeover. Updates and revisions can be made quickly. Moreover, as new technology hits the market, a self-published author is positioned to leverage the opportunity without delays from fighting chain-of-command bureaucracy.
About Valerie J. Lewis Coleman
Best-selling author and award-winning publisher, Valerie J. Lewis Coleman, serves professional speakers and experts to magnify and monetize their message by publishing quality books. With over fifteen years of experience in the book business, she has published over 130 authors and helped thousands of writers navigate the challenges of self-publishing. This expert divulges industry secrets on avoiding the top five mistakes made by 95% of new authors, pricing your book to sell and identifying shady publishers. Valerie founded Dayton Book Expo—the region’s premier book event—connecting almost 700 authors to avid readers. Her dynamic presentation and knowledge of the business take writers from pen to paper to published as they master self-publishing to make money!
Valerie can be found online at: