You’re passionate about getting better, but writing in a void is like cooking pasta out of doors—you can’t throw anything at the wall to see if it sticks.
Sure, there are ways around it, from critique groups to beta readers. But how do you get the really valuable, professional feedback for your work—without going broke?
Why, with Re:Fiction’s Editing Scholarships.
Get a Free Scholarship
Each month, we’ll be sponsoring two editing scholarships for writers. With this scholarship, you can submit a story of your choice or the beginning of it (up to 5,000 words) and receive a professional editor’s thorough feedback, from developmental issues to word choice.
What Our Scholarship Is:
- An invitation to get free, professional feedback on your writing.
- A spring-board for advancing your skills in leaps and bounds.
- Something we do because we believe in you.
What Our Scholarship Is Not:
- A sale proposal for a complete manuscript edit. You can always contact your editor for additional projects, but we will never press you to do so.
- A given sum of money to hire a third-party editor. We pay our own team of editors to critique your manuscript, and that's what we offer.
You will retain all rights to your story. We will retain all rights to our critique. That means we cannot publish your story anywhere, and you cannot publish our critique or make any use of it except for reading it and learning from it.
How to Apply for an Editing Scholarship
Fill out the application form, attach your document of up to 5,000 words, and you're done. It's as simple as that!
Every month, we will choose two manuscripts for an editing scholarship. We will choose these manuscripts at random from the pool of all manuscripts which have been submitted up to that point and not yet reviewed, so there is no need to apply twice for the same piece, even if it was not initially selected.
We will notify the chosen writers when they are chosen, and later again, with their finished critique.
By sending your scholarship application, you indicate that you have read and agreed with the following terms:
- You must be the sole owner of the work you submit, and you must have all rights to post it for review.
- You will retain all rights to your work. Re:Fiction will retain all rights to the critique. This means you may not publish our critique anywhere, and we may not publish your work anywhere.
- Please do not submit more than one story at a time.
- This service is offered "as is." You cannot request any changes in the critique you receive.
- Submitting your manuscript for an editing scholarship does not guarantee getting one.
- We reserve the right to discontinue this service at any time without prior notice.
You can read more about our editors by clicking here.
So What's the Catch?
Sorry, we're fresh out of catches. We're doing this because long ago, experienced writers have spent their time and energy on helping us make progress. This is our way of paying it forward. What's in it for us? A lot, and we do mean a lot, of satisfaction.
Fill out the application form, attach your document of up to 5,000 words, and you're done. Good luck!